Provide Help and Relief in the Wake of Disaster
Join a volunteer response team to provide help and relief to people recovering from disasters such as flooding, tornados, fires or hurricanes - in the U.S. or nearby countries. Relief Teams are organized and sent in immediate response to disasters, as the need arises – usually with 2-4 weeks notice. Re-Build Teams are also sent every fall.
- 'Mucking' flooded houses – pushing debris out of houses, removing damaged belongings, stripping wall materials out and spraying mold
- General debris cleanup and bagging
- If you are trained, running a chainsaw
- 'Tarping' roofs
- Replacing roofs with shingles or metal
- Framing walls
Who Can Volunteer:
People of all skill levels can volunteer – on-site training will be provided. Volunteers may be 18 years old on up or youth aged 14 to 17 who are accompanied by a responsible adult. A volunteer should be in reasonably good health as the work will be physical, but you will not be pushed beyond your comfort level. You will have a chance to interact with homeowners and their families who are being assisted and are encouraged to witness in the name of Jesus.
How Teams are Organized and Sent:
Trips are arranged by Chris O’Donnell, who works with Samaritan’s Purse to find opportunities to volunteer. If you are interested in volunteering for an upcoming trip, let Chris know and he can keep you informed. Trips will also be announced here on the church website and at the Small Group’s wall. In disaster response, there may only be 2 to 4 weeks advanced notice, but on rebuild deployments there will be 2 to 3 months notice.
- Volunteers cover their own travel expenses to site (air-fare or driving)
- Once on site, Samaritan's Purse will provide a place to stay, plenty of food to eat and shower facilities
- You will need to bring your own bedding and air mattress if needed (twin size only)
- All tools and training for the job will be provided
Volunteers will be asked by Samaritan's Purse to sign a form agreeing to basic Christian moral behavior and a statement of faith that you will not espouse ideas contradictory to the oraganization's beliefs. There is a conservative dress code on and off the worksite for both men and women.
About Samaritan's Purse:
Samaritan's Purse is a Christian organization dedicated to helping people in different crisis around the world. Their leader is Franklin Graham, son of the well-known Billy Graham. This group encourages people not only to volunteer, but also to relate to people by witnessing their faith. The volunteers are Christians of all kinds of backgrounds, not just one denomination. You will be placed in a very spiritual environment, so expect to grow!
Want to Get Involved?
Contact Chris O'Donnell